28.5.20

kylie minogue is really hard to draw!


kylie minogue . 2020


it's the 28th of may which means it's kylie minogue's birthday!
i remember watching ‘can’t get you out of my head’ for the first time in a c&a store in prague, summer 2001. i was mesmerised by the song and music video. in university, i repeatedly drew the final scene of the video during my bus rides back home. kylie dancing on a rooftop to the chorus was so iconic to me. 19 years later, i thought i’d draw it again this year on the occasion of her birthday. i must say i like how it turned out, but my goodness kylie minogue is so hard to draw!
those who know me know how much of a fan i am of ms. minogue. i have to thank my sisters, who listened to her music around me during the late 80s & early 90s. my fandom came to fruition by the end of the 90s during my final years in high school. when her seventh studio album ‘light years’ was released, i was officially team kylie! her music has been a constant in my life, and got me through the best and worst of times – listening to her songs while stressed in the studio, chilling at home, or singing loudly in my car.
in addition to the music, her collaborations with william baker and tony hung have always been a point of reference and inspiration to me, influencing my work in some form or another. her music videos, album artworks, stage designs and costumes are some of the best examples of art and design in contemporary music and pop culture.
i’ve never met kylie, but i’ve watched her perform ten times so far – my first was at the x tour in Madrid, 2008. i hope i could meet her one day (universe, please see this and work your magic!). until then, i hope this post crosses kylie’s path. and if it does, i hope she likes what she sees.
thank you for the music, the entertainment, the inspiration, and for sharing the same initials as me! can’t wait for what’s next. until then, happy birthday kylie minogue.